zondag 27 november 2016

Alice in Wonderland - dreaming about reality

What is this life? Are we really here? 

(I am not really here)

I went mad because I thought I could find the answers by searching for them in my head.

Then there was magic (one day I will tell you all about it) and after what seemed like a thousand years of pondering those questions everything spoke to me, in a clear and coherent way. 





I reread 'Through the Looking Glass' by Lewis Carroll.
The Red King’s dream scene beautifully illustrates the fact that human beings dream up their lives by creating a collective dream (or nightmare).

 "Well, it's no use your talking about waking him," said Tweedledum,
 "When you're only one of the things in his dream. 
You know very well you're not real."
"Unless we're all part of the same dream. Only I do hope it's my dream, and not the Red King's!” answered Tweedledee.

In the last chapter of Through the Looking Glass Carroll emphasizes the importance of pondering this issue, when Alice says to her cat: 
“Now, Kitty, let's consider who it was that dreamed it all. This is a serious question.”

Carroll already touched upon this theme in Alice in Wonderland. The story moves from one dream sequence to the next with talking animals, strange landscapes and sudden transformations. 

A subtle pointer to the ‘Life is a dream’ idea is the poem in the beginning of the book which reminds the reader of the nursery rhyme 'Row your boat, gently down the stream.  

The last poem in Through the Looking Glass goes like this:
Dreaming as the days go by, 
Dreaming as the summers die (...)
ever drifting down the stream, 
lingering in the golden gleam, 

life what is, is but a dream”. 




...Just a children's book, isn't it, so why believe it?...

Enjoy the story! 




Geen opmerkingen: